Need a copy of System 6.0.8, 7.0.1, or a newer version of the Classic Mac OS for your vintage Mac? You can dig through apple.com and try to find them – or you can download them using the updated links on this page. (Apple does rearrange things, making it more difficult to find things.) All versions of the Mac OS linked here are copyrighted by Apple Computer and free to Macintosh owners. System 7.1.x as well as 7.6.x and later are not free products and must be purchased.
QuickTime 5 was one of the shortest-lived versions of QuickTime, released in April 2001 and superseded by QuickTime 6 a little over a year later. This version was the last to have greater capabilities under Mac OS 9 than under Mac OS X, and the last version of QuickTime to support Mac OS versions 7.5.5 through 8.5.1 on a PowerPC Mac and Windows 95.
Software is stuffed and requires an expander, such as StuffIt Expander (which was traditionally bundled with early Mac web browsers). Mounting disk images or making floppies from them requires Disk Copy (download Disk Copy) or MountImage.
You will need a 400K or 800K floppy drive to produce single-sided disks for use with the Mac 128K and 512K Fat Mac. Apple’s high density floppy drives cannot format single-sided floppies.
You cannot use a USB floppy drive to create 800K floppy disks; they can only be formatted and written to using an Apple 800K or 1.4M HD floppy drive.
You should have no trouble formatting and writing to high density floppies using a USB floppy drive.
Whenever possible, Apple branded hard drives should be formatted or updated with HD SC Setup 7.3.5 or later before installing a new version of the OS. (Exception: If the hard drive of a Mac Portable is formatted with any version newer than 7.3.1, it will crash instead of waking from sleep mode.)
For an interesting overview of Mac OS history, read Evolution v. Revolution on MacKiDo. And for tips on choosing a version of the Mac OS, read What’s the Best System Version?
Pre System 6
- Several older versions of the Mac OS were available for download through links on The Mac 512, including 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.2, and 4.2. However, Apple forced them and other sites to stop distributing older versions of the Mac OS. Gamba’s page may still work.
- Introduction to Mac OS 1 through 5 on MacKiDo provides a quick overview of every version of the Mac OS from System 1.0/Finder 1.0 to System Software 5.1. (Note: Many download links no longer work.)
- System 6.0.x from System 6 Heaven
- Hardware Requirements for System 6.0.8 to 7.6, Gamba
- For more on System 6, visit System 6 Heaven and see The Joy of Six: Apple’s Fast, Svelte, Reliable, and Still Useful System 6
- System 7.1 and Update 3.0 are available for download from the University of Calgary.
- Apple has made available System 7.5.3 for free download (19 image files!) but no longer hosts the files. Data files require System 7.0.1 or later. (Don’t forget the System 7.5.5 update.) Try these links:
- For international users, first go to Apple’s software updates page, then choose the language you want, then select Macintosh, then click on System, and then choose System 7.5 Update 2.0.
- Hardware requirements for System 6.0.8 to 7.6, Gamba
- Newer versions of the system must be purchased (see below).
Mac OS 8
- Petition: Release Mac OS 8.1 and 8.5.1, Steve Godun, Petition Online. If you’d like to see Apple make OS 8.1 and 8.5.1 free to all, as they did with System 7.5.3, please sign this petition.
Classic Mac OS Updates
Mac OS X updates are readily handled through Software Update, but pre-X updates can be difficult to locate. Links are to English language version of the Mac OS.
Mac 7.5.5 Software Mac
- System 7.5.3 update (from 7.5.x)
- System 7.5.5 update (only from 7.5.3)
- Mac OS 7.6.1 update (only from 7.6)
- For more on Mac OS 7.x, visit System 7 Today and see System 7: Bigger, Better, More Expandable, and a Bit Slower than System 6 and System 7.5 and Mac OS 7.6: The Beginning and End of an Era
- Mac OS 8.1 update (only from 8.0, adds HFS+ support, last to support any 680×0 Macs, and 680×0 Macs cannot boot from HFS+ volumes, first version of Mac OS to support Carbon apps)
- Mac OS 8.6 update (from 8.5 or 8.5.1, PowerPC only, new nanokernel supports Multiprocessing Services 2.0)
- For more on Mac OS 8.x, see Mac OS 8 and 8.1: Maximum Size, Maximum Convenience
- Mac OS 9.1 update (from 9.0.x)
- Mac OS 9.2.1 update (from 9.1 or 9.2)
- Mac OS 9.2.2 update (only from 9.2.1)
- For more on Mac OS 9, visit Mac OS 9 Lives
Where to Buy the Classic Mac OS
You may be able to purchase system software from Apple or dealers with old stock.
Why can’t we simply put a passcode or touch ID or FaceID to the apps we want to lock?Even didn’t have much to offer until recently. But then it doesn’t exactly lock the app but completely hides it, which is a bit annoying. Password protect mail app mac computer.
- System 6.0.8, $15
- System 7.1 + Update 3.0, $25
- System 7.5.3 + Update to 7.5.5, $25
Mac Os 7.6.1
Mac OS 7.6 and later are usually available through dealers, eBay, and LEM Swap. Mac OS 7.6 requires a 32-bit clean Mac, a 68030 or later CPU, 8 MB of RAM (16 MB recommended), and at least 70 MB of available drive space (120 MB if you wish to install all the options).
Keywords: #classicmacos #system6 #system7 #macos8 #macos9
Short link: http://goo.gl/kiQLF0
Developer Nick Lee this evening has shared a video showing how he managed to hack an Apple Watch to run Macintosh OS, System 7.5.5. For those counting, that was released 19 years ago on September 27, 1996. The Apple Watch was released April 24, 2015. That’s a pretty impressive feat by Lee (via MacRumors).
Lee was able to accomplish this with an Apple Watch running watchOS 2 and the Mini vMac Macintosh Emulator. The mini vMac Macintosh Emulator is designed to allow more modern devices run software that was designed for early Macintosh computers. Macintosh OS, System 7.5.5 was designed to run on a PowerPC Mac at the time of release.
Mac software to combine videos online. These four main functions are used to convert video, burn your homemade videos to professional DVD, download videos from internet and convert the videos at the same time, and it can also be served as a media server to project videos from Mac to your TV. To combine videos, we only need to use the first function CONVERT.
Mac 7.5.5 Software Free
You can view the video of System 7.5.5 running on Apple Watch above. Below is a comparison of the sizes of two devices: the system on which System 7.5.5 was designed to run and Apple Watch.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links.More.