MacTheRipper, officially abbreviated as MTR, is a free DVD ripper application for Mac OS X. It helps you copy your DVD movies to your Mac without any protections and quality loss. This is very helpful if you don't want to play the original DVD disc, or making DVD copies for your car (a DVD burner is required). With the help of third-party video converter, you can also convert MacTheRipper output files to to another format, like an iPad, iPod, iPhone or other portable media players.
Dec 29, 2016 If you're like Robbie, you may not have a DVD/BluRay player connected to your TVs, but have connected devices that allow you to play video files through software such as.
Thanks to its user-friendly interface and high quality DVD ripping, MacTheRipper is ever the best choice of millions of users to backup there own DVDs on Mac. However, due to legal issues and the need of long-term evolution, MacTheRipper at last becomes a Donationware or called Shareware, which means you have to pay some money to rip your DVDs. In a word, MacTheRipper is NOT a free DVD ripper any more. Here Tipard DVD Ripper for Mac is recommended to rip DVDs on Mac for its high quality and fast speed. Get a free trial now.
Why Choose MacTheRipper?
Below are the reasons why MacTheRipper was so popular in the past.
- It's Free (before version 2.6.6)
- It has impact and user-friendly interface.
- It's easy to use.
- It retains the original quality of DVD movies.
Why NOT Choose MacTheRipper?
For some people, MacTheRipper is not the best choice.
- Those who want free DVD ripper but have an up-to-date Mac computer because the latest MacTheRipper is not free any more.
- Those who want to watch DVD movies on iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch - MacTheRipper just rip DVD but not convert DVD to video.
- Those who want to copy DVD movies and watch DVD movies on TV using the duplicated DVD disc.
- Those who want to rip commercial DVD movies because the latest MacTheRipper doesn't support commercial DVD discs.
- Those who don't want to register to download and buy (so-called Send Gift) MacTheRipper on its official forum.
- Those who want a simple solution to rip DVD on Mac. Obviously, MacTheRipper is an outdated choice. Here is the best DVD ripper Mac, in my opinion.
How to Use MacTheRipper 4
This section will show you how to use MacTheRipper to rip DVD on Mac step by step. Also shows you how to uninstall MacTheRipper if it doesn't work or you just don't like it. A brief update history of MacTheRipper is also included.
Dvd Ripper Mac Os X Free
How to Install MacTheRipper 4
To install MacTheRipper, simply double click on the .dmg file, and then double click on the .mkg file to launch the MTR 4.0 Installer. Follow the on screen instructions and the MTR 4.0 application will be installed in your Applications folder.
How to Rip DVD on Mac with MacTheRipper 4
MacTheRipper provides your with 5 modes to rip DVD on Mac, like Auto Full Disc Extraction mode, Auto Full Disc ISO Extraction mode and Full Disc Rip And Rebuild mode. Here takes Auto Full Disc Extraction mode for instance.
- 1. Launch MTR, and set the extraction type to Auto Full Disc Extraction.
- 2. Insert the DVD disc you want to rip movies from. MTR will detect and scan titles in the disc.
- 3. Click Extract to starting ripping DVD on Mac with MacTheRipper.
- 4. The DVD will be saved as a folder on Mac.
Note that If RCE Region Protection was detected, you will be prompted to select the 'RCE Region' number. To make a region-free video. The RCE Region should be set to the region the DVD was purchased in. For example, US is 1, while Europe is 2.
Usb 3.0 transfer speed. Find your USB device which should be highlighted in green with a device type of “Mass Storage”, right click on it and select Speed Test (Ctrl+T). Click Start Test and it will sequentially read and write a 100MB file to get the scores. USB 3.0 Stand alone test application (Needs Firmware Ver 2.5 and Driver Ver 1.2.3) 2.0.1009. When used with a PassMark USB 3.0 loopback plug it allows the maximum speed of USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports to be benchmarked and tested. More details. The Aja System Test application. FireWire 800 was about half as fast as USB 3.0 in our write tests, turning in scores ranging from 55 MBps and 60 MBps. The read scores were faster, though at 72.3.
How to Uninstall MacTheRipper 4
To uninstall MacTheRipper, you need to remove all the related folders and files manually. Do the following:
- 1. Remove the CSS_ Key_Cache folder. This is a folder includes the decryption keys to remove protections from any DVD it opens. It makes future processing of the same discs faster. This folder locates in /Users/Shareddirectory.
- 2. Remove the? MTR preferences file. The preferences file, called com.MTR3.plist, is stored in the folder called Preferences, which is located in the Library folder in your Home directory. Just drag this file to the trash and empty the trash.
- 3. Finally, remove the MacTheRipper application.?Simply drag the MTR folder to the trash. Done.
What's New in MacTheRipper 4.0
- Completely re-worked from scratch with a more future-proof codebase
- New ripping modes, 'Full Disc', 'ISO' disk image creation (!) and 'Rip And Rebuild' for those tricky new DVDs
- Compatibility with many new DVDs with advanced copy protections schemes
- New dark-themed interface, complete with mind-blowingly slick animations
- Auto-updater for simplified updates - no more needing to check the forums all the time to find new releases
- Exclusive access to the DVD while ripping so your rip won't get interrupted anymore
>> Learn More About MacTheRipper History
How to Play MacTheRipper Output Files
The MacTheRipper has mainly 2 types of outputs: DVD folder or ISO Image File. Both can be played with the supplied DVD Player on your mac. Below is how to play MacTheRipper files.
Rip Dvd Mac Os X
- 1. Launch DVD Player from Applications folder. To play ISO Image file, mount it by double-clicking on it before running DVD Player.
- 2. Go to the File menu, select Open VIDEO_TS Folder, navigate to the VIDEO_TS folder inside the DVD folder and hit the Choose button. Or simply drag and drop a VIDEO_TS folder onto DVD Player's dock icon or application icon in the Finder).
- 3. Hit Space Bar to start playing video from your hard drive.
How to Convert MacTheRipper Output Files
MacTheRipper doesn't feature a conversion tool. Therefore, you need an extra video converter to convert MacTheRipper ripper files to the compatible format of your device. Here I humbly recommend Tipard Video Converter for Mac to complete the task. It offers the easiest way to convert MacTheRipper VOB files for iPhone, iPad, iPod, iTunes, QuickTime, iMovie, Final Cut Pro, etc.
How to Burn MacTheRipper Output Files
To backup MacTheRipper output files to DVD and play on television, you need a DVD maker for Mac to burn video files to DVD disc. Many DVD burning applications are on the market. Among them, Aiseesoft DVD Creator for Mac is a great choice for its ease to use and has powerful features to burn MacTheRipper output files to DVD with beautiful preset DVD menus.