So, you’ve decided to download an older version of Mac OS X. There are many reasons that could point you to this radical decision. To begin with, some of your apps may not be working properly (or simply crash) on newer operating systems. Also, you may have noticed your Mac’s performance went down right after the last update. Finally, if you want to run a parallel copy of Mac OS X on a virtual machine, you too will need a working installation file of an older Mac OS X. Further down we’ll explain where to get one and what problems you may face down the road.
A list of all Mac OS X versions
Jun 11, 2011 I have OSX 10.5.8 on my computer, and I'm taking a C programming class right now. I'd like a good IDE that works in the language, and almost all sources tell me XCode is the best available on a mac, and the industry standard. However, looking up XCode on apple's site shows only the latest. Mac os x 10 5 8 free download - Apple Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 Supplemental Update, Mac OS X Update, R for Mac OS X, and many more programs. Dec 27, 2017 Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5 is a very powerful and reliable operating system for your Macintosh computer with different enhancements and improvements. Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5 Review. Apple has now released the Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion release after a long beta period. Mac App Store is the simplest way to find and download apps for your Mac. To download apps from the Mac App Store, you need a Mac with OS X 10.6.6 or later.
We’ll be repeatedly referring to these Apple OS versions below, so it’s good to know the basic macOS timeline.
|Cheetah 10.0||Puma 10.1||Jaguar 10.2|
|Panther 10.3||Tiger 10.4||Leopard 10.5|
|Snow Leopard 10.6||Lion 10.7||Mountain Lion 10.8|
|Mavericks 10.9||Yosemite 10.10||El Capitan 10.11|
|Sierra 10.12||High Sierra 10.13||Mojave 10.14|
STEP 1. Prepare your Mac for installation
Given your Mac isn’t new and is filled with data, you will probably need enough free space on your Mac. This includes not just space for the OS itself but also space for other applications and your user data. One more argument is that the free space on your disk translates into virtual memory so your apps have “fuel” to operate on. The chart below tells you how much free space is needed.
Note, that it is recommended that you install OS on a clean drive. Next, you will need enough disk space available, for example, to create Recovery Partition. Here are some ideas to free up space on your drive:
- Uninstall large unused apps
- Empty Trash Bin and Downloads
- Locate the biggest files on your computer:
Go to Finder > All My Files > Arrange by size
Then you can move your space hoggers onto an external drive or a cloud storage.
If you aren’t comfortable with cleaning the Mac manually, there are some nice automatic “room cleaners”. Our favorite is CleanMyMac as it’s most simple to use of all. It deletes system junk, old broken apps, and the rest of hidden junk on your drive.
Download CleanMyMac for OS 10.4 - 10.8 (free version)
Download CleanMyMac for OS 10.9 (free version)
Download CleanMyMac for OS 10.10 - 10.14 (free version)
STEP 2. Get a copy of Mac OS X download
Normally, it is assumed that updating OS is a one-way road. That’s why going back to a past Apple OS version is problematic. The main challenge is to download the OS installation file itself, because your Mac may already be running a newer version. If you succeed in downloading the OS installation, your next step is to create a bootable USB or DVD and then reinstall the OS on your computer.
How to download older Mac OS X versions via the App Store
If you once had purchased an old version of Mac OS X from the App Store, open it and go to the Purchased tab. There you’ll find all the installers you can download. However, it doesn’t always work that way. The purchased section lists only those operating systems that you had downloaded in the past. But here is the path to check it:
- Click the App Store icon.
- Click Purchases in the top menu.
- Scroll down to find the preferred OS X version.
- Click Download.
This method allows you to download Mavericks and Yosemite by logging with your Apple ID — only if you previously downloaded them from the Mac App Store.
Without App Store: Download Mac OS version as Apple Developer
If you are signed with an Apple Developer account, you can get access to products that are no longer listed on the App Store. If you desperately need a lower OS X version build, consider creating a new Developer account among other options. The membership cost is $99/year and provides a bunch of perks unavailable to ordinary users.
Nevertheless, keep in mind that if you visit developer.apple.com/downloads, you can only find 10.3-10.6 OS X operating systems there. Newer versions are not available because starting Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.7, the App Store has become the only source of updating Apple OS versions.
Purchase an older version of Mac operating system
You can purchase a boxed or email version of past Mac OS X directly from Apple. Both will cost you around $20. For the reason of being rather antiquated, Snow Leopard and earlier Apple versions can only be installed from DVD.
Buy a boxed edition of Snow Leopard 10.6
Get an email copy of Lion 10.7
Get an email copy of Mountain Lion 10.8
The email edition comes with a special download code you can use for the Mac App Store. Note, that to install the Lion or Mountain Lion, your Mac needs to be running Snow Leopard so you can install the newer OS on top of it.
How to get macOS El Capitan download
If you are wondering if you can run El Capitan on an older Mac, rejoice as it’s possible too. But before your Mac can run El Capitan it has to be updated to OS X 10.6.8. So, here are main steps you should take:
1. Install Snow Leopard from install DVD.
2. Update to 10.6.8 using Software Update.
3. Download El Capitan here.
“I can’t download an old version of Mac OS X”
If you have a newer Mac, there is no physical option to install Mac OS versions older than your current Mac model. For instance, if your MacBook was released in 2014, don’t expect it to run any OS released prior of that time, because older Apple OS versions simply do not include hardware drivers for your Mac.
But as it often happens, workarounds are possible. There is still a chance to download the installation file if you have an access to a Mac (or virtual machine) running that operating system. For example, to get an installer for Lion, you may ask a friend who has Lion-operated Mac or, once again, set up a virtual machine running Lion. Then you will need to prepare an external drive to download the installation file using OS X Utilities.
After you’ve completed the download, the installer should launch automatically, but you can click Cancel and copy the file you need. Below is the detailed instruction how to do it.
STEP 3. Install older OS X onto an external drive
The following method allows you to download Mac OS X Lion, Mountain Lion, and Mavericks.
- Start your Mac holding down Command + R.
- Prepare a clean external drive (at least 10 GB of storage).
- Within OS X Utilities, choose Reinstall OS X.
- Select external drive as a source.
- Enter your Apple ID.
Now the OS should start downloading automatically onto the external drive. After the download is complete, your Mac will prompt you to do a restart, but at this point, you should completely shut it down. Now that the installation file is “captured” onto your external drive, you can reinstall the OS, this time running the file on your Mac.
- Boot your Mac from your standard drive.
- Connect the external drive.
- Go to external drive > OS X Install Data.
Locate InstallESD.dmg disk image file — this is the file you need to reinstall Lion OS X. The same steps are valid for Mountain Lion and Mavericks.
How to downgrade a Mac running later macOS versions
If your Mac runs macOS Sierra 10.12 or macOS High Sierra 10.13, it is possible to revert it to the previous system if you are not satisfied with the experience. You can do it either with Time Machine or by creating a bootable USB or external drive.
Instruction to downgrade from macOS Sierra
Instruction to downgrade from macOS High Sierra
Instruction to downgrade from macOS Mojave
Instruction to downgrade from macOS Catalina
Before you do it, the best advice is to back your Mac up so your most important files stay intact. In addition to that, it makes sense to clean up your Mac from old system junk files and application leftovers. The easiest way to do it is to run CleanMyMac X on your machine (download it for free here).
Visit your local Apple Store to download older OS X version
If none of the options to get older OS X worked, pay a visit to nearest local Apple Store. They should have image installations going back to OS Leopard and earlier. You can also ask their assistance to create a bootable USB drive with the installation file. So here you are. We hope this article has helped you to download an old version of Mac OS X. Below are a few more links you may find interesting.
These might also interest you:
Mac OS Leopard 10.5 is the sixth release by Mac OS for Apple’s desktop and server operating system for Macintosh computers. It is available in two editions: for desktop or personal computers and server version (Mac OS X Server). The retail price for the desktop version is $129 and $499 for the server version. It was released on October 26, 2007.
This is the final version of Mac OS X which can support the PowerPC structure as snow leopard function only on Intel-based Macs. The latest released is 10.5.8 (Build 9L31a) on August 13, 2009. Its kernel type is hybrid (XNU). This version is preceded by Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger and succeeded by Mac OS X snow leopard. It is the first operating system that has open-source BSD to be certified as fully UNIX cooperative.
Newer versions are not available because starting Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.7, the App Store has become the only source of updating Apple OS versions. The membership cost is $99/year and provides a bunch of perks unavailable to ordinary users.Nevertheless, keep in mind that if you visit developer.apple.com/downloads, you can only find 10.3-10.6 OS X operating systems there. If you desperately need a lower OS X version build, consider creating a new Developer account among other options. Purchase an older version of Mac operating systemYou can purchase a boxed or email version of past Mac OS X directly from Apple. Both will cost you around $20.
Download: Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 ISO and DMG file
Tutorials: How to Clean Install Mac OS using a USB drive on Mac
New Features Added to Mac OS X Leopard 10.5
This new Mac OS Leopard 10.5 ISO comes with many new features like:
- An improved Automator is introduced. It can create and edit work with the new interface. A new feature ‘watch me do’ is introduced that record user action and reply as an action in a work. It can create more useful work with action for RSS feed, PDF manipulation and much more.
- It has the feature to access a file on their computer while far from home through the internet.
- It has a new group feature called stack which displays a file in a ‘fan’ style, ‘grid’ style and a ‘list’ style.
- It has redesign 3D dock.
- New dictionary in Japanese is introduced.
- The front row has been updated which closely resembles the interface of original Apple TV.
- Safari 3 is introduced which includes web clip.
- This version of Mac comes with an interesting feature called time machine. It allows the user to back up the deleted or replaced by another version of the file. Time machine does not make bootable copies of backed up the volume, it does not backup encrypted FileVault home dictionary until the user logout. It also does not back up to Airport Disc hard drives but this issue is been resolved on March 19, 2008 update.
- It doesn’t the support classic application.
- It comes with a total of 18 languages.
- It comes with Alexa voice to voice over and the Apple company assured that it is the most natural and understandable voice yet.
- A quick look is available which allows us to view the document without opening them in external software.
- An updated version of photo booth is introduced which allow us, user, to record video with real-time filter and blue/ green screen technology.
- It offers Objective-C 2.0 runtime, which has new features such as garbage collection
System requirements for this new version for Mac OS
To enjoy this version of Mac OS X, there are some basic requirements for a system like:
- If we are talking about the processor then we need an Intel processor or PowerPC of G5 or G4 (867 MHz and faster).
- The DVD drive, internal or external for installation of the operating system.
- Minimum of 512MB of RAM is required for the proper functioning of the system. Additional of 1Gb of is recommended for development purpose.
- Minimum of 9 GB of the disc is required.
These are the features required for the general purpose.
For some features specific requirements in the Mac are :
- Time machine application needs an additional hard drive.
- For boot camp, a Mac with Intel processor and Windows XP service pack 2 or Windows Vista is required.
- 1.8GHz PowerPC G5 is required for the DVD player for improved de-interlacing.
- An insight camera (external or built-in), USB video class camera or Firewire DV camcorder, an Intel or PowerPC G5 processor is required for the photo booth.
- Audio chats required microphone and 56kbs speed of internet connection.
Technical details of Mac leopard 10.5
- Filename:- osx_leopard_10.5_install.iso
- File size :- 7.8 GB
- Developer:- Apple
To get this latest version of Mac
If we set our mind to upgrade our Mac with latest features then we have to upgrade our pc with Leopard 10.5. The ISO file is available on the official website as well as on the apple store. We have to decide what type of installation we require because it comes with three types of installation: Upgrade, Archive and Install, Erase and install.
Archive and install take the middle ground method. This installer moves all your data in one folder and then create a clean installation of OS X 10.5 Leopard. This method allows the user to get all their existing data including the user account. Installation of Leopard OS in the Mac, you have to boot from the Leopard install DVD.
Installation process step by step:
Mac Os 10.8 Update Free
- First, we have to insert the OS X Leopard install DVD into Mac DVD drive.
- After that an install Mac OS X on display on the screen and we have to double click it.
- Click the restart button when the install Mac OS X open.
- Enter the administrator password and press the OK button.
- Mac will restart and boot from the installation DVD. Restarting from the DVD take some time, so be patient.
How To Get Mac OS Leopard on your Mac
Snow leopard comes with no option other than upgrade, but with few extra steps, we can perform erase and install. The ISO file is available at the Apple official website and also on apple store. For installation, there are some system requirements like
- An Intel Mac because it doesn’t support older PowerPC Macs.
- At Least 1GB of Ram is required to run the Snow Leopard.
- It requires 5GB of free space for installation in the system.
- A DVD drive is also required.
After gathering all the requirement, now it’s time to install the Snow Leopard in PC
- Prepare the PC for installation like backup data, repair drive errors and disc permission.
- Insert the Snow Leopard install DVD into the DVD drive.
- Then after double click the install ‘Mac OS X’ icon.
- Click the continue button after opening the Mac OS X Installer.
- Select the drive which has already OS X 10.5 installed.
- Click the customize button if we want to change anything to package.
- When we are ready to install with default application then click the install button.
- Enter the password and click the ‘OK’ button.
- Copy the core file and restart.
Mac OS X Leopard 10.5 ISO & DMG file Direct Download
Mac OS Leopard 10.5 is the sixth release by Mac OS for Apple's desktop and server operating system for Macintosh computers. It is available in two editions: for desktop or personal computers and server version (Mac OS X Server). The retail price for the desktop version is $129 and $499 for the server version. It was released on October 26, 2007.
Price Currency: USD
Operating System: Mac OS X Leopard 10.5
Mac Os X 10.5 8 App Store
Application Category: OS
Mac Os X 10.5 Download