You will know seven amazing GoPro video editors here. Choose one of them to start viewing and editing your GoPro videos on your computer running Windows or macOS.
- May 21, 2020 Whether you are a beginner or professional, prefer free or paid GoPro video editor, you will find the suitable GoPro editing software for you. Free GoPro Editing Software for Beginners. GoPro cameras generally create videos in MP4 and HEVC (High-Efficiency Video Coding) formats. The GoPro editing software introduced below supports both of the.
- A short tour on the process of GoPro video editing on Mac using Wondershare UniConverter: Step 1 Install GoPro Video Editor for Mac and Add Video to Edit. Visit the official website of Wondershare UniConverter and download the Mac version. Install the tool by following the wizard.
GoPro is a technology company that is famous for producing action cameras. GoPro camera is one of the most versatile cameras - It's waterproof, shockproof, dust-proof, and can survive in hostile weather and environment. That's why GoPro cameras, like GoPro HERO 7 Silver/Black, GoPro Max, and latest GoPro HERO8, are immensely popular among travelers, explorers, adventurers, sports enthusiasts, and more.
To share their interesting, adventurous, or memorable journey, many users need a GoPro video editor to turn the clips into a more attractive video. If you are reading, you are probably one of them. Given that, I'm going to sharing the best GoPro video editors for you. Whether you are a beginner or professional, prefer free or paid GoPro video editor, you will find the suitable GoPro editing software for you.
Free GoPro Editing Software for Beginners
Dear GoPro, This will be my 3rd camera that I have own from your company. A lot of promises were made on the GorPro Max and there are a lot of big misses on this release and I personal am very frustrated with those promises i.e. Easier editing. Well if you are a MAC owner then that could be the ca.
GoPro cameras generally create videos in MP4 and HEVC (High-Efficiency Video Coding) formats. The GoPro editing software introduced below supports both of the formats. But you will need a better graphics card to play HEVC videos smoothly.
GoPro Quick for Desktop
Does GoPro have video editing software? Yes, it does. In addition to manufacturing action cameras, GoPro also develops its own free video editing software - GoPro Quik. GoPro Quik is available for both mobile and desktop, and ONLY supports GoPro media, namely photos and videos. Here is what you can do with GoPro Quik:
- Access, edit and enjoy your GoPro photos and videos
- Choose from a huge variety of soundtracks
- Add gauges and graphs to your videos
- Automatically import and organize your photos and videos
Being developed by GoPro, Quik is more integrated with GoPro media. However, the compatibility and video editing features of GoPro Quik are quite limited.
- Only supports Windows 10 (64-bit) and Mac OS X 10.10 or above
- Only supports photos and videos taken by GoPro
- Disallows template editing
- Disallows video editing features including: cut, split, or merge/mix videos, remove background noise, add transitions/titles/filters/subtitles/watermark..
The more advanced version of Quik is GoPro Studio. GoPro Studio is equipped with more video editing features like splitting/merging videos, adding transitions/filters, and more. Unluckily, GoPro has been discontinued officially and excluded from the installer package. If you want to get it, you need to find another way around.
If you are a beginner and attempt to edit your GoPro videos by rotating, flipping, or trimming the item, this free GoPro video editor can fulfill your needs.
Windows Movie Maker
Windows Movie Maker is a video editing software application developed by Microsoft. It helps to create and edit videos as well as publish videos on platforms like YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, Flickr, and OneDrive. Thus, it can serve as a GoPro video editor to edit the videos taken by GoPro cameras.
- Video editing: trim, rotate, merge videos
- Supports video formats including MP4, WMV, MKV, MOV, AVI, MPEG, MTS, JPG, PNG, GIF, MP3, M4A, and WAV
- Make movies from photos, videos, music with professional transition effects like wave, pixellate, cross-zoom, fading..
- Adds color filters to photos
- Customize the appearance and duration of photos and videos
- Add titles to your photos and videos
- Preview the output video before saving
Every video editing software has its pros and cons. Windows Movie Maker is no exception.
Video capture software mac freeware. Disadvantages:
- Doesn't support HEVC videos created by GoPro
- Crashes a lot
- Has limited video and audio tracks - one video track and one audio track only
- Has no audio effects
Similar to GoPro Quik, Windows Movie Maker provides basic video editing functions for beginners. If you want more advanced video editing features, try one of the subsequent GoPro editing software instead. However, Windows Movie Maker has been officially discontinued on January 10, 2017, and it is replaced by Video Editor which is built-in with Microsoft Photos in Windows 10. Thus, if you want to download Windows Movie Maker, you will need to find another way around.
Paid GoPro Video Editors for both Beginners & Pros
You may prefer GoPro video editing software that is more versatile and can satisfy your different kinds of video editing needs. Here are the programs to view and edit GoPro videos with more powerful features.
EaseUS Video Editor
Whether you want to create professional high-quality movies or entertaining home videos, EaseUS Video Editor could help. It perfectly supports the MP4 and HEVC videos created by GoPro and many other video formats. It's more than a GoPro video editor and allows you to create videos of any complexity. Unlike GoPro Quik that is only compatible with 64-bit Windows 10, EaseUS GoPro video editing software is available for Windows 10/8/7.
- Trim/cut/split/merge/rotate/mix videos
- Adds various simple or complex transitions
- Adds filters/titles/subtitles
- Adjusts video speed
- supports multiple video/audio tracks
- Supports various audio, video, image formats
- Imports media files from storage devices and videos taken by camcorders, DVs, vidicons, webcams, cell phones..
- Provides templates that are ready for use
- Although there are many filters, overlays, and transitions available in the software, you need to take time to download the item in order to apply it.
Want a more versatile GoPro video editor? If so, you should take a look at Pinnacle Studio. Pinnacle Studio is a creative video editing software that helps to create complex projects by offering near-professional-level features.
Key Features (of the basic version):
- Provides 1,500+ effects, titles, and templates
- Supports at most 6 tracks
- Splits screen videos
- Selective color
- Stops motion animation
- Also serves as a screen recorder
- Crashes occasionally
- The motion tracking is not precise
- Requires a high-performance computer to run smoothly
A common shortcoming of the four GoPro video editors is that they are Windows-only. If you are a Mac user, don't miss Final Cut Pro X introduced in the next part.
Advanced GoPro Video Editing Software for Professionals
Think the GoPro video editing tools above are not capable of doing what you want? You must be a professional who is looking for professional video editors. The collection below won't let you down.
Final Cut Pro X
If you are a Mac user who wants to edit GoPro videos on Mac, Final Cut Pro X might be a good choice for you. The target users of Final Cut Pro are professionals who attempt to create high-quality movies or videos. This application will provide you with a seamless video editing experience via its advanced features.
- Supports multicam video/audio editing
- Allows advanced grading, HDR support, and ProRes RAW
- Supports 3D editing and VR headset playback
- Provides various effects and motion graphics templates
- Has compatibility with plug-installer
- Only supports Mac computers
Another video editing tool developed by Apple for both iOS and macOS is called iMovie. Compared with Final Cut Pro X, iMovie is much more basic since it only contains simple video editing features. Thus, iMovie is a more advisable choice for Mac users who are beginners of video editing.
DaVinci Resolve (the free version) has claimed to be the only solution that combines professional 8K editing, color correction, visual effects, and audio post-production all on one tool. What's amazing in DaVinci Resolve Studio (the paid version) is that it makes multi-user collaboration possible. That means you can work on the same project simultaneously together with others. DaVinci Resolve is qualified as being one of the best GoPro video editors.
- Provides basic & advanced video editing options
- Offers intelligent edit modes to auto-sync clips and edit
- Has built-in tools for retiming, stabilization, and transform
- Allows to create projects with different frame rates and resolutions
- Supports frame rate conversions and motion estimation
There are many other unexpected and wonderful features integrated with the software. With them, you create impressive videos as you like.
- The lack of ability to swap window positions
- Causes confusion about the features
- Inability to precisely move keyframes up and down to where you want them when keyframing audio
Adobe Premiere Pro
The truth that many film masterpieces are edited with Adobe Premiere Pro has proven the high professional level of the software. It's no doubt that Adobe Premiere Pro can serve the function of a GoPro video editor, and can do much more than you have expected. Besides, it's both Windows and macOS-compatible. With it, you can create any video you see.
- Enables simultaneous project and shared projects
- Offers motion graphics templates, effects, transitions, and labels
- Supports VR editing, VR audio editing, and VR rotate sphere
- Supports multiple file formats
- Seamlessly works with other apps, including Photoshop, After Effects, Adobe Audition, and Adobe Stock
- Not intuitive enough
- Much more expensive than its equivalents
- Requires beefed-up computers to run properly
Other Hot Issues Related to GoPro Video Editing
There are some questions that users ask frequently.
Does GoPro have video editing software?
Yes, it does. Both GoPro Quik and GoPro Studio are developed by GoPro. Simply speaking, GoPro Studio is an advanced version of Quik with more video editing features. However, GoPro Studio has been discontinued officially since 2017.
What program can I use to edit GoPro videos?
There are many video editors that support GoPro videos. If you are a beginner, you can choose GoPro Quik, Windows Movie Maker, or iMovie. If you want near-professional programs, apply EaseUS Video Editor or Pinnacle Studio. While if you are a professional, Final Cut Pro X and Adobe Premiere are recommended.
What's the best video editing software for GoPro?
GoPro creates MP4 and HEVC videos, which are supported by most of the video editors. The best video editing software for you is the one that suits your needs most. Depending on the complexity of the video editing, you may need different tools. From GoPro Quik to Adobe Premiere, there must be the best GoPro video editor for you.
The Bottom Line
There are many choices of GoPro video editors. Whether you want a free video editor or paid professional video editing software, you will find the one that meets your demands from this article. Choose the GoPro video editor you like best and start creating your unique video to share with others.