Jul 11, 2019 Iolo System Mechanic continues its long reign as one of the best PC tune-up utilities. The suite's many tools dig deep into your computer to defrag the hard drive, repair the registry, and perform. It's a new application engineered to help you in many different tasks and to give you the best Mac user experience. That's why it's made up of 10 independent, useful and handy tools. Jun 05, 2020 Picking the best antivirus software for Windows means finding one that keeps your PC safe, doesn't take up a lot of system resources, is easy to use and stays out of the way till you need it.
We clean our rooms and clothes so why not our Macs? But who can waste the entire day digging through folders and files? There are so many places like music, videos, apps and email downloads, and countless more locations on your Mac where junk and clutter accumulates. In 2020 cleaning your Mac is easier than ever. Which is why millions of people download free and low-cost Mac cleaning software.
To start off, we've made a quick comparison chart about best Mac cleaners for Mac.
|1||CleanMyMac X||Best cleaning and antimalware functionality in one tool||Link|
|2||Disk Doctor||Quick scan and deep cleaning of all kinds of junk||Link|
|3||MacBooster||Finds duplicate files and has system optimization functionality||Link|
A handy cleaner may prove that your Mac is still alive and can actually perform at its best. In this article we’ve brought together some of the best Mac cleaning solutions around to clean, optimize, and maintain Macs that are available in 2020.
Top 10 best cleaners for Mac: Free and premium versions
1. CleanMyMac X
CleanMyMac X takes the first place with good reason — this cleaner combines features of both cleaning software and antimalware tool. Its Smart Scan promises a “nice and thorough scan of your Mac.” It does what it says, detecting junk like user cache files and system logs, checking your Mac for malicious software, and speeding up your MacBook. Looks like, there is a threat in my system, that I need to get rid of:
Frankly speaking, CleanMyMac X is Tesla Roadster among other Mac cleaners. And it does a great job revealing your junk and other clutter, uninstalling unneeded apps and their leftovers, and keeping your Mac’s system clean and optimized. Another pro is that CleanMyMac X is Apple-notarized, which means it’s safe for your Mac. You can download its free version right here.
Free version: Available here
2. Disk Doctor
Disk Doctor is developed in the UK and was awarded the 'Mac Gem’ award by MacWorld in 2013. CNET and other tech journalists also praise functionality. As of 2020, it still looks like a useful tool for Mac cleaning that removes junk slowing down and reducing the computing power of your Mac.
Free version: N/A
MacBooster is a popular app that is developed at IObit. It cramps so many features under one interface it hardly fits into a “cleaner” niche. What makes it different is the duplicate file remover — an extra option to free up space on Mac. According to the developer, you can altogether delete 20 types of junk files with MacBooster.
MacBooster, in its version 8 rendition, offers real-time Mac protection, which makes it also an antivirus, although, quite a basic one. For example, you can remove malicious browser cookies to evade intrusive advertisements on your Mac. It doesn’t belong to free Mac cleaner apps per se, although a free trial is available. Unlike CleanMyMac, it doesn’t allow you to remove any junk for free in its trial version. To get the taste of MacBooster, you only have to rely on a free scan.
You should know that even when you uninstall MacBooster, some parts of the app may remain on your drive.
Price: $59.95 for Premium version
Free version: Available
OnyX is a french Mac cleaning solution developed by Titanium software. It weighs only 5 MB but that doesn’t mean its capabilities are limited. OnyX is a tool that programmers will have a lot of fun with. With it, you can peek under the hood of your macOS and automate a whole list of jobs, like disk cleanup and cache removal. You can even tweak the color of folders on your Mac, and even make them invisible. Deservedly, it's among best free Mac cleaners.
OnyX is one of the best Mac cleaners because it cleans many specific under-the-surface files, like inner databases and logs. If you know what is XPC cache is, you’ll probably like this app. But for us, ordinary Mac users who came here for the design and glossy buttons, OnyX will require some learning time.
Those who use OnyX say it is stable and reliable. There is no dedicated customer service (because OnyX is free software), but you shouldn’t be worried. The only likely damage is you accidentally deleting files by yourself.
Price: Free cleaner
DaisyDisk gives you a visual representation of your Mac folders, making it easy to see what is taking up space and delete the folders you don't need. All you need to do is select a drive, DaisyDisk will scan it, then you can delete everything that is wasting valuable space. It comes with a free and premium version.
You don’t need to pay for Photoshop or another photo editing app to resize images and make them smaller on a Mac. You can use Preview which comes as part of MacOS and resize images for free. Resize image software. Apr 23, 2020 PhotoSize lets you upload and export to some of the most popular image formats like JPEG, TIFF, PNG, PSD or GIF. In addition to resizing and converting, you can also crop, rotate or retouch your photos in bulk. PhotoBulk is a Mac app which you can efficiently put to use to reduce the size of your images. The app comes with a simply. Free Image Resizer Software for Mac – iResize. Rating: 4/5 Price: Free Download. Benefits of Image Resizer Software. Resizing of an image has a number of benefits. For example, images that are too large would be occupying huge amounts of space on your device. If your system gets clogged due to such images, it would result in your.
Free version: Trial version available
6. AppCleaner & Uninstaller
If you only need to uninstall apps on Mac, AppCleaner is a good pick. AppCleaner only removes applications, plugins, and widgets, which are again, small apps. AppCleaner works in a familiar drag & drop mode. Its interface is also clean and easy to understand for a newbie.
After feeding the apps to AppCleaner, you should visit the Leftovers section of the app to erase their remains. Why we place AppCleaner & Uninstaller among free Mac cleaner tools? Because it is 100% free. Whether you will fully clean your Mac using it, is a different question.
AppCleaner & Uninstaller is created by FreeMacSoft, also the makers of LiteIcon, an icon customizer for Mac.
Price: Voluntary donation
7. Smart Mac Care
If you launch Smart Mac Care, it will look hauntingly familiar to other free Mac cleaner apps. Not only features will be called the same, everything up to the fonts, will be identical to some other app you’ve just used. That’s not a minus, though. You can still free up a lot of space with Smart Mac Care.
Smart Mac Care operates by a logic of “scans.” There is a Junk Scan, Malware Scan, Privacy Scan, etc. Just like Mac Booster, Smart Mac Care removes duplicates scattered in various locations on your Mac. There’s also a Memory Optimizer feature that promises to free up RAM on your Mac. In a word, Smart Mac Care resembles every other generic product whose only difference is in packaging. This is supported by the fact that we couldn’t find any credible third-party reviews for this app.
On another skeptical note: to uninstall Smart Mac Care you have to enter your admin password. This is not the case with other Mac cleaners we’ve used.
Price: $56.62 per year
Free version: Demo available
8. Drive Genius
Drive Genius is labeled a “Mac monitoring software.” It’s a whole suite of tools that provide powerful disk diagnostics. It’s hard to list a thing that this software doesn’t do. You can scan for malware, secure-erase files, customize icons — it’s dozens of apps in one body. What makes Drive Genius unique is, probably, its search for corrupted files and inconsistencies on your drive. If your Mac is an old one, keeping it in good health will be easier with Drive Genius.
In a free version, you can use just a fraction of tools, notably a DiskPulse utility. This is an automatic Mac health checker that notifies you before your hard drive fails. Unlike Mac cleaners that merely scan, it is able to repair damage on your disks, which makes it a real deal. Be prepared that hard drive scan may take some time, but the results are worth it. Also note that Drive Genius is not available for macOS Catalina (as of the beginning of 2020).
Price: $299 for Professional edition
Free version: Limited Lite edition is available
Originally created in 2004 by Piriform, CCleaner comes with a free and professional version, focusing on businesses and business customers. CCleaner is a cross-platform tool, for PCs, Macs, Android, and it has a Cloud, Network and Technician tool, depending on what you need and the platform/software you use.
The premium version comes with a lot more features, including real-time alerts, free updates, and dedicated support. Although created for PCs in the early days, CCleaner does well to identify unwanted files on a Mac, so that users can select and delete the files and folders they don't need to free up space. As a cleaner for Mac, customers are pretty happy with the results of CCleaner.
Free version: Available
The Sensei app is a relatively new app on the market, but it can be another useful tool for your Mac. The Sensei software developers call the app “Pro Mac Cleaner” on their website. I would call it a performance controlling tool.
Sensei presents a detailed picture of how your Mac performs. In the Dashboard, you can find out information about your MacBook, check your CPU’s current temperature, and see how much of your RAM is used. Cooling gives you exact information on your Mac’s fans' speed.
Its Clean option helps to get rid of user cache, logs, large files, etc. The Uninstaller feature allows you to delete apps from your Mac and remove their traces. It doesn’t list pre-installed apps from Apple, such as Safari or Calendar, but it shows every app you have installed on your Mac.
Surely, you can clean up your Mac manually, but using dedicated software will save you tons of time.
Price: $29 per year
Free version: Available
Frequently Asked Questions
Can’t my Mac clean itself?
Your macOS also has a built-in Mac cleaner, which Apple called Optimized Storage. Though its capabilities are limited, it gives you basic directions on where to start the cleanup. But for a thorough system cleanup and removing malware, you’ll need a dedicated Mac cleaner app.
Can Mac cleaner apps delete my important files?
Typically, best Mac cleaner apps have a protection built-in. They will usually select only those files that are safe for deletion.
Will Mac cleaners slow down my Mac?
Some cleaners try to get into your Login items, thus creating an extra burden on processor. On a flip side, the reliable Mac cleaner apps might even speed up your Mac. They remove all the outdated junk files giving your Mac an extra boost.
Mac cleaning apps you should avoid
Above we've touched the trusted Mac cleanup solutions but there are many that work on the dark side. Malwarebytes lists Advanced Mac Cleaner Pro and similar tools as unwanted applications. Here are some signs that should warn you against using scam Mac cleaners.
Signs of Mac cleaner scam:
- 'Your Mac is infected' intrusive message
- An app is installed as part of different app
- An app finds 2323 (the number is an example) threats on your Mac
- Mac cleaner redirects your search page
Be safe and happy cleaning.
These might also interest you:
Our Windows 10 market is packed with several Free PC Cleaners & Optimizers that claims to offer a noticeable performance boost, quickly & easily. But the reality is only a few of them can manage to speed up your computer & maintain its health for a longer time. Well, choosing the best computer cleaning software from the glut can be a complicated process. So, we’ve tested the most popular tune-up utilities that not only improve the performance of your PC but also maintain its stability & offers all-round protection with privacy control features.
Running any of the Windows 10 Cleaners can help you clear caches from programs, repair registry issues, limit background processes that use extra RAM & delete duplicates and other unwanted files in a few clicks. So, without further ado, let’s check out our list of Top 10+ Best Cleaner For PC 2020!
|TABLE OF CONTENT|
|PART 1||Which Factors Should Be Considered While Choosing The Software To Clean PC?|
|PART 2||Quick Comparison Of Top 5 PC Cleanup Tools 2020|
|PART 3||Reviewing Paid & Free PC Cleaners For Windows & Other Versions|
|PART 4||An Ultimate Secret To Keep & Maintain Your PC & Other Devices|
PART 1- Which Factors Should Be Considered While Choosing The Software To Clean PC?
You’ll be surprised to know what all a good system cleaner can do to keep your PC up and running. So, it’s worth noting that you know all the essential functionalities that a Windows Optimizer should have within.
THE BEST WINDOWS CLEANER & OPTIMIZER IS THE ONE:
- That offers a One-Click Maintenance to get rid of all the potential issues in one go.
- That helps you remove caches, cookies, junk & other unwanted/large/hidden files.
- That helps you optimize RAM for better performance.
- That has Registry Cleaner, Duplicate Files Remover, Disk Optimizer, Driver Update & so on.
- That offers all-round protection with security & privacy control features.
- Tools like Backup Manager, Game Booster, Uninstaller, Startup Manager are surely a bonus.
Above all, make sure you check all the positive & negative reviews by users. It will help you better understand the tool, if it’s worth using or not.
PART 2- Quick Comparison Of Top 10 PC Cleanup Tools 2020
Here are the key highlights of the most popular Windows 10 Cleaners & Optimizers. For more details, you can jump directly on the Review Part.
|Product||Download Links||Highlights||Compatibility||Free Trial||Price|
|Advanced System Optimizer||Download||Windows Vista, XP, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 (Both 32-bit & 64-bit)||Yes||$24.99|
|CCleaner Professional||Download||Windows Vista, XP, 7, 8, 8.1, 10||Yes||$19.95|
|Iolo System Mechanic||Download||Windows 10,8,7||Yes||$49.95|
|Glary Utilities 5||Download||Windows XP & above||Yes||$19.97|
|Iobit Advanced SystemCare||Download||Windows 10, 8, 7||Yes||$21.98|
|Ashampoo WinOptimizer||Download||Windows 10, 8, 7 (Both 32 bit & 64 bit)||Yes||$29.99|
|CleanMyPC||Download||Windows 10, 8, 7, XP||Yes||$40.73|
|PC Booster||Download||Windows 10, 8, 7, XP||Yes||$14.95|
|Auslogic BoostSpeed 11||Download||Windows 10, 8, 7, XP (Both 32 bit & 64 bit)||Yes||$19.84|
|Avast Cleanup||Download||Windows 10, 8, 7, XP||Yes||$13.22|
Read Now:Disk Cleanup Guide: For Windows & Mac Users
PART 3- Reviewing Paid & Free PC Cleaners For Windows & Other Versions
Now that you have the basic idea of what all these PC Cleaning Software will offer, here’s a detailed list of features, pros & cons.
1. Advanced System Optimizer
Packed with all the qualities of an ideal PC cleaner software, Advanced System Optimizer is simply a bunch of dedicated functionalities that indexes all the junk files, logs, caches and redundant data at one place, where you can clean up your cluttered PC with just one-click.
- Smart PC Care to deal with various types of PC issues.
- Cleaning modules like Registry Cleaner, Duplicate Files Cleaner, Uninstaller & more.
- Privacy modules like System Protector, Secure Delete (to permanently delete files) & more.
- Optimization modules like Disk Optimizer, Driver Updater, Memory Optimizer & More.
- Additionally, it offers tools like Backup Manager, Startup Manager, System Restore & more.
- User-friendly interface.
- Lots of advanced tools for PC optimization.
- One-click cleanup.
- Bonus tool: Game Optimizer for the lag-free gaming experience.
- Free PC cleaning version has limited features.
Read Review:Why Advanced System Optimizer, The Fastest Cleaner & Optimizer?
2. CCleaner Professional
CCleaner Pro brings plenty of go-to-utilities such as System Cleaning, which removes unwanted stuff from browsers & apps, Registry Cleaner to fix registry issues, Disk Analyzer to scan which type of files are using more disk space and more such modules to have a noticeable boost in performance.
- Smart cleaning to clear junk files from browsers and other places.
- Startup Manager to enable/disable or delete programs when the PC starts.
- A Context menu editor for managing right-click menus.
- Schedule scans for timely cleaning.
- Duplicate Finder to scan and remove duplicate files/folders.
- Thoroughly cleans & free up lots of disk space.
- Easy to use & user-friendly dashboard.
- Has plenty of modules to clean & optimize.
- Available for both desktop & mobile.
- Tries to download add-on programs at the time of installation.
Read Review: Is CCleaner Still The Best PC Optimizing Tool?
3. Iolo System Mechanic
Iolo System Mechanic is best-known in the market for improving Internet & processing speed immensely. It offers plenty of tools for optimizing overall performance & managing online privacy. Moreover, it has a file recovery tool to restore accidentally deleted files, which is undoubtedly a bonus point.
- Newly added optimization features significantly reduce Internet bandwidth needs.
- Lots of modules dedicated to improving boot time, download speed & CPU, RAM, GPU.
- Features a Malware Killer to block or remove malicious content.
- Defragment & compact registry without any hassles.
- Have a clear & detailed analysis of your Windows system.
- One-click cleanup.
- Variety of scan types for thorough cleaning.
- Newly added privacy shield feature.
- Let you clean junk & repair over 3000+ common PC Problems.
- Most of the features are available with premium versions only.
4. Glary Utilities 5
Glary Utilities Pro 5 is one of the best PC tune-up software that offers multipurpose solutions for enhanced system performance. Similar to other best paid & free PC cleaner tools, Glary Utilities Pro 5 has a Registry Cleaner, Disk Repair, Startup Manager, Uninstall Manager & so on.
- Apart from all the mainstream cleaning & optimization tools, it offers a variety of small tools.
- Shortcuts Fixer to remove broken shortcuts.
- File Splitter to divide files into small files.
- File Encrypter to add password-protection to specific files.
- System Information to get a brief overview of your PC’s internal information & more.
- One-click maintenance.
- Offers solutions to clean & protect users.
- Keeps track on PC performance.
- Manage & fix running processes to speed up PC.
- Doesn’t significantly improve browsing speed.
5. Iobit Advanced SystemCare 13
One of the most popular and widely-used tune-up utilities for Windows 10, IObit Advanced SystemCare 13 is an efficient tool for system maintenance. The software is well-known for swiping junks and Internet boosting. You can use this PC cleaner software for clearing residues from apps & toolbars too.
- Performance Monitor checks how much RAM & CPU resources are occupied in real-time.
- Essential cleaning utilities such as Startup Optimization, Privacy & Junk File Cleaning.
- Deep registry cleaning & Internet boosting modules to speed up PCs.
- Apart from these, the free PC cleaning version allows you to fix outdated drivers as well.
- Privacy Shield, Browser-Anti tracking, Real-Time Protector, FaceID & more for all-round protection.
- One-click & auto PC Cleanup.
- Clean & customizable interface.
- Real-time optimization.
- 24*7 technical support.
- Cannot exclude drives from cleaning.
- Installs extra software.
6. Ashampoo WinOptimizer 2020
Ashampoo WinOptimizer is an overhauled best freemium PC cleaning software that keeps your system in tip-top shape. It offers unlimited speed up & optimization features which makes it the top choice among top tune-up utilities for Windows 10 & other versions.
- Offers a complete suite of modules for routine maintenance tasks.
- Offers more than right optimization tools to enhance Windows speed.
- The system cleaner for Windows 10 has a task schedule for regular optimization.
- Updated version of Ashampoo, brings enhanced Multi-program uninstaller.
- Provides ADS Scanner for tracking hidden data streams.
- Quick & in-depth scanning.
- Easy to use & descriptive interface.
- Perfect system monitoring.
- A Comprehensive toolkit to clean, optimize & protect.
CleanMyPC is an excellent PC tune-up software that offers a decent bunch of cleaning utilities such as Computer Cleanup, Startup Manager, Uninstaller, Registry optimizer, all wrapped up in an easy-to-use interface. Apart from these, the Windows 10 cleaner brings a Browser Extensions Manager & and Shredder Utility to delete data securely.
- The free PC cleaner boosts your Windows speed significantly.
- It even gathers traces of your online activities & eliminates them before someone tracks it.
- Unlike other CleanMyPC alternatives, it helps you get rid of hibernation-file.
- Lets you scan the recycle bin as well to detect potential threats or uninstalled files.
- Best PC Cleaner, as it permanently cuts down unnecessary files & extensions that clutters your system.
- Shred files easily & quickly.
- Keeps your privacy intact by removing traces.
- Manage background processes to speed up PC.
- Uninstall unwanted Windows 10 programs.
- Expensive PC Cleaner.
- Doesn’t reduce boot time as compared to its competitors.
8. PC Booster
Next on our list of Best PC Cleaner Software, is PC Booster which is packed with plenty of features for both its paid and free versions. Once you install this Windows tune-up software, it automatically starts scanning for common issues. It is one of the most affordable computer cleaning software available, yet has most of the essential features needed to boost PC speed.
- Finds & deletes files that decrease PC speed.
- Permanently erases online activities.
- Includes startup manager, duplicate file cleaner, registry cleaner, temp file cleaner.
- Lets you see your system menus, settings & other settings.
- Clears junk, logs & others reside in a click, which makes it the best computer cleaner for beginners.
- Quick & thorough scanning options.
- Multilingual PC Cleanup tool.
- Lets you exclude files & folders from scanning.
- Best PC Cleaner for novices.
- Free PC Cleaner version lets you scan only 10% of storage.
9. Auslogic BoostSpeed 11
Our list of best cleaner apps for PCs is incomplete without mentioning Auslogics BoostSpeed 11, which has multiple performance-boosting modules, all packed in an easy-to-use interface. It does have an impressive suite of tools that helps you to maximize your system’s workflow efficiency.
- One of the Best software to clean, optimize & protect Windows 10 & other versions.
- Includes registry optimizer, Internet booster, privacy protector, file recovery tool & more.
- It’s paid PC cleaning version lets you schedule automated scanning.
- Offers dedicated modules for automatic RAM & processor management.
- The premium computer optimization software has overall desktop protection.
- Auslogics cleaner app for PC is easiest to use.
- Works in real-time & clears temp files instantly.
- Lets you remove browsers caches.
- Lets you restore system stability in a click.
- Little complicated software to clean the PC.
- Free pc cleaner version allows junk cleaning only.
10. Avast Cleanup
One of the youngest Windows 10 PC Cleaners in the list, Avast Cleanup is launched by the makers of renowned antivirus solutions, Avast Technologies. It is undoubtedly an excellent choice for someone who wants extraordinary yet effective functionalities to speed up Windows in a few clicks.
- Brings one-click system maintenance, making it the best software to clean a PC.
- Offers a Sleep Mode to prevent programs from consuming more resources.
- Can quickly detect & remove bloatware, which makes it the best PC cleanup software.
- Avast Cleanup has a built-in disk wiper & registry cleaner tools.
- It offers multiple optimization tools to free up space, fix an issue, maintain & speed up.
- Good looking user-interface.
- Cleans unwanted junk from several software.
- Safest & best PC Cleaner for pro users.
- Shows statistics related to cleaning.
Few Honorable Mentions: Paid & Free PC Cleaners & Optimizers 2020
Well, there are some great tune-up utilities for Windows 10 that are worth mentioning in this list:
11. Razer Cortex
Better-known as the Gamer Optimizer & Booster, it offers a variety of performance-enhancing tools to get your Windows PC in full-potential.
12. WinZip System Utilities Suite
It offers an impressive set of tools to maximize your PC’s efficiency in a few simple clicks. Quickly fixes common issues that might make your system crash or lag.
13. WinUtilities Pro
The computer cleaning tool has modules like Clean Up & Repair, Optimize & Improve, Privacy & Security, Files & Folders, Registry Tools and System Tools, to speed up your system.
14. Clean Master For PC
It helps you clean your Windows system thoroughly & keeps your privacy intact through various modules. It can scan more than 1000+ programs in a single click to remove junk & other residues.
15. AVG PC TuneUp
AVG is a brand that needs no introduction. The computer cleaning software brings a comprehensive set of cleanup tools & increases performance & boost Internet speed.
PART 4- An Ultimate Secret To Keep & Maintain Your PC & Other Devices
Since everything works better when it’s clean, it’s worth mentioning that you regularly clean your computer both inside and out. For in-depth cleaning & optimization, we are discussing the Best Paid & Free Windows Cleaner 2020. For cleaning your system tangibly, here’s a quick video you need to refer to!
In a hurry? Watch this quick video to know all the important features of Popular Cleaning Utilities For Windows 10 & other versions!
Frequently Asked Questions: Computer Cleaning & Optimization Solutions
Q1. Does Windows 10 Have A Built-In Cleaner?
Yes, Windows brings Storage Sense that lets users clean & free up space in a jiffy. But it’s certainly not that effective.
Q2. Which Is The Best PC Cleaner For Windows?
Best Mac Cleaner And Virus Protection
Well, if you ask us, we recommend using Advanced System Optimizer. Though it is a freemium version, the complete suite of advanced optimization utilities is worth the purchase!
Q3. What Happens When You Don’t Clean Your Computer?
If you don’t clean your PC at regular intervals, you might have to struggle with problems like:
- Dust build-up inside the system can clog the fan.
- You may start facing regular overheating issues.
- Eventually drains your Windows battery life.
- The keys could get stuck.
Q4. How do I clean my PC for free?
Here’s what you can do to clean your PC without installing a dedicated PC Cleaner for Windows 10.
- Run the built-in disk cleaner in Windows.
- Clear your browser history & remove extensions you no longer use.
- Try running the Disk Defragmenter tool.
- Uninstall software one by one you don’t require anymore.
- Disable startup items to improve Windows boot time.
Q5. What is the best alternative to CCleaner?
One of the closest competitors to CCleaner is Advanced System Optimizer. The feature-rich best PC Cleanup Software has One-Click Maintenance, Driver Updater, Duplicate Finder, Memory Optimizer, Uninstaller, Startup Manager, Registry Optimizer and more.
Antivirus For Mac
Read: Why Your PC Needs Advanced System Optimizer?