Keeping your iPhoto organized and managed is not an easy task; especially, when you’ve a huge collection of photos and videos. If you’re a designer or professional photographer, you understand the pain in renaming your files manually. In situations like this, you need a file renaming software that can help you rename multiple files at one go. Luckily, there are some best free file rename software for Mac that can help you to modify the name of the files.
Best Batch File Renaming Software For Mac
Apr 16, 2016 Renaming multiple files can be a tedious process when doing so manually, but the Finder in OS X can make it easier to rename a batch of files at once on your Mac. Instead of relying on a third. Mar 28, 2019 STEP 1- Download & Install Tweak Photos from the Mac App Store. STEP 2- Launch the application & click on ‘Add Photos’ button to select the files for bulk renaming. You can also add entire Photos Library using ‘Add iPhoto/Photos Library’ option. Alternatively, you can also add files by using drag & drop feature.
- How To Rename Multiple Files Using A Batch Image Renaming App On Mac. Tweak Photos is a dedicated photo management software that is designed with strong capabilities to edit thousands of pictures in just a matter of a few clicks.
- Apr 27, 2018 How to rename open documents on Mac To rename a file that’s open in an application, go to the File menu and choose Save As then type the new name for the file in the box and press Save. In some apps, that support macOS versioning, you can rename an open file by clicking on its name in the toolbar, typing the new name and pressing Return.
- File Renamer makes it easy to rename large number of files in in a few clicks. Have a large picture library and wished files were called something more descriptive than DSCsomething.jpg? File Renamer gets the job done without wasting hours. File Renamer values your privacy.
Whether you want to change name for a single file or many at once, Renamer is a software that’s capable of renaming your files in various ways. It is the easiest and quickest way to get an organized and managed library with minimal efforts. Best of all, Renamer is a beautifully designed tool that comes with user-centric interface.
Must Read: Best Free MP3 Tag Editor For Mac In 2019
Support for fast & smart code editing. Rapid User Interface Development. Easy & Efficient Project Management process. Imaging softwares for modern macs. Helps to write bug-free code.
2. Name Munger
Name Munger is one of the best free file rename tools that swiftly renames one or more files with a simple drag and drop feature. It is a simple yet strong tool that not only allows you to replace text anywhere in a file or folder name but also removes texts from anywhere in a file or folder name. You can modify the file name in upper case, lower case, initial caps, and title caps.
NameChanger is an incredible tool that helps you rename files in real time. All you need to do is just download and install the software on your Mac, drag and drop the files and rename the bunch of files with a simple click. It is one of the most reliable software that has been developed by MRR Software and designed for OS X 10.7 and later. Indeed, it is one of the effective batch files rename tools for Mac.
Must Read: Top 10 Must Have Menu Bar Apps for your Mac
As the name reflects, it is a useful utility that renames multiple files without asking you to download a wide range of tools. It allows you to cut down the first or last couple of characters, add a prefix/suffix, insert text at a certain position, and trim the file names without any trouble. In fact, F2Utility also lets you re-order a selection of files using hotkeys.
Transnomino is a Mac batch utility that finds and replaces the name of the file as per your requirements. You can add file attributes to the filename such as EXIF data, ID3, date-created, etc. Transnomino allows you to format your dates exactly the way you want it to be, just by selecting one of the pre-set formats or by specifying your own. You may also add the numbering at the end of the file name or at the beginning as well.
6. Inviska Rename
It is a cross-platform software and available for Linux, Mac, and Windows. Inviska Rename lets you add, insert, replace and remove the filename text or extension. You can rename files using Exif information from digital photographs, file creation or modification date, music tag information like mp3 ID3v2 tags and FLAC tags. This batch files rename tools for Mac comes with a user-friendly interface.
Must Read:8 Best Media Center For Mac
Overall, these are some of the best free file rename software for Mac you can use to rename a bunch of files together.
Whether you’re cleaning up a bunch of generic file names or re-organizing your folders, renaming a lot of files at the same time is often a necessity that can save you hours, especially when you’ve planned something grand, like a monotonous revamp of your photo library, for example.
How To Batch Rename Files
Renaming a single file in macOS isn’t difficult. Just select the file and hit Return to edit its name, or right-click and select Get Info to call up a menu from which the name can be changed.
But when you’re trying to rename multiple files, things get tricky. Instead of manually selecting each individual file, which would waste an enormous amount of time and in addition be prone to errors and typos, use one of the alternative methods described below.
How to rename multiple files in Finder
It’s possible to edit multiple file names at the same time using a simple Finder window. Here’s how to do that:
- Open Finder on your Mac
- Find the files you are looking to rename
- Use shift-click to select a batch of files
- Click the Action button (the cog icon at the top of the Finder window). You can also access the menu by right-clicking or Control-clicking on the selected files.
- Select Rename Items (below Get Info and above Compress Items)
- Select Format (the third option in the Rename toolbar)
- Here you need to select a Name Format for your file renaming. You can choose from Name and Index, Name and Counter, and Name and Date.
- In the Name Format box, enter the new name that will be included in all of the selected files
- Enter a number in the “Start numbers at” box. It could be 1, but it doesn’t have to be.
- Click Rename
As a result, all of the selected files will be renamed with the title you entered in the Name Format box plus a sequential number beginning with the digit in the “Start numbers at” field.
How to add text to a batch of existing file names
Sometimes the file names in question are fine as they are — they just need an extra identifier to be properly distinguished. If you’d like to add text to the file name without deleting the original name, you can do that using Finder as well:
- Open Finder on your Mac
- Find the files you need to rename
- Use shift-click to select a batch of files
- Click the Action button and select Rename Items
- In the dropdown menu, select the second option Add Text
- In the Add Text field, enter the word or words you would like to be added to the file name
- You can also choose whether the addition will be inserted before or after the existing file name
- Select Rename to update the file names with the new text
If you’ve made a mistake and you spotted it immediately, it’s simple to undo file name changes, providing that it was the last action you performed in the Finder window. Simply click Edit in the top left of the Finder window and select Undo Rename, or press Command + Z on the keyboard.
How to use Renamer to batch rename files
For simple file name updates, such as changing a keyword or adding sequential numbers, using Finder will do the job. But for something a bit more in depth, you’re going to need a dedicated app.
Renamer has all the tools you need for complete control over batch renaming files. This app allows you to:
Mac Rename Multiple Files App Windows 10
- Easily add and replace text in any number of files
- Number files randomly or sequentially
- Organize file renaming tasks into Renamerlets, using either those already built-in or customizing your own
- Create chains to handle complex file renaming tasks
- Insert music track numbers, switch between upper and lower case, add dates and location tags
- Change or remove file extensions
- Preview the way files are going to look like before you’ve proceeded with the renaming process
Moreover, renaming batch files with Renamer is very easy:
- Open the Renamer app
- Drag and drop the files you’d like to rename onto the window. If you’d rather find them manually, click on the plus button to search your hard drive.
- Use Renamerlet protocols from the left-hand menu for specific rules depending on file types, such as adding geotags to photos
- If the formatting you need isn’t already a Renamerlet, you can create your own by pressing the plus button at the very bottom of the left-hand menu and selecting New Renamerlet. Assign it a name and, after pressing OK, you can set up its own particular function.
How to rename an open file
Since documents that are open or currently in use are locked from being edited, they can’t be renamed through the Finder function or by selecting Get Info or hitting Return when the file is selected. It’s a hassle to close down a document you’re working on just to rename the file — but if you don’t, you’re likely to forget by the time you’re done with it.
One quick hack for renaming an open document is to simply save it again with a new name:
- Go File > Save As
- Enter a new file name and choose a new location if you’d like to
- Click Save
The document name has now been changed to its new name, and all new saves will be done there. Remember to delete the old document copy with the original name.
How to rename folders
File folders on Mac can be renamed just as easily as files, either by hitting Return, editing the name, and then pressing return again to seal the change or by right-clicking and selecting Get Info to change the name.
If you prefer to use the Terminal for your updates, this simple line will do the trick:
mv path/to/oldfilename path/to/newfilename
Using the Terminal is probably a bit too complex for such a simple task but is nevertheless an option that is handy when you’re updating more than one folder and can replicate commands using arrow keys.
When you shouldn’t rename folders
If you have links to certain locations in your files, changing folder names will invalidate those paths. Ensure that there are no hyperlinks in your documents that will become invalidated by a folder name change. This is particularly important if you share a network with other users, who may be unable to find their files after a folder name change.
Folders that are integral to the running of your Mac also can’t be renamed.
Keeping your folders and files up to date
A little housekeeping on your Mac will go a long way to keeping your files in order and in the right place. If you’re lucky, your file names won’t have to be updated ever, but if they do, at least you now know how to change them manually or use Renamer, which can do it faster and with more accuracy.
Best of all, Renamer is available for a free trial through Setapp, a platform of more than 120 nifty utilities and apps that make it easier to automate lots of tasks on your Mac.
Here come five best Blu-ray rippers for Mac that we rate after taking every aspect of their features into consideration.VideoSolo Blu-ray Ripper - An All-in-one Solution to Blu-ray Conversionearns a spot of the best Blu-ray ripping software on Mac due to its incredibly professional functionality in outputting high-quality or quality-lossless videos. If you are carrying a Mac, you aren't able to play Blu-ray without carrying an extra Blu-ray player, which can be very inconvenient sometimes.To enjoy Blu-ray high-definition movies on the go or watch it on your Mac whenever you like, the best way is to rip Blu-ray and make some simple conversions. Best blu-ray ripper software.